Lucky in love

cupid grasped his bow and arrow,
plucked some heartstring and drew
further, further, until the string stretched
further than what was possible.

the offender was sharp,
a gleaming red arrowhead
the smoothest of wooden stems,
fletching with colors that gleamed

iridescent and irreverent
a notch that was well worn
carved specifically for me,
the beast settled onto the string and glared

at me.

and I stared right back.

He let go.

moments passed by like molasses.
thick, sweet, warming the air as it flowed.
choking on air I couldn't find,
the arrow defied gravity, physics, logic.

He sliced through everything holding me together.

a gaping hole in my chest
harbored a red cavity, heartless, empty,
love's gone, love.
where did you take it?

A resounding smack from behind me, around me.
someone else, he tells me. It was made
for someone else. not you.

maybe next time.

I echo
and add another tally mark to the board.

-Divya
~~~~~~~~~~~
what even is college lmao maybe i should move to the Alps and become a goat farmer

Comments

Popular Posts