Medusa

Medusa, I call to you, you're gorgeous.
I smile at you and hope that I've done no wrong,
living my life the way I wanted to,
but you're possessive, aren't you? you would never share.

Your snakes hiss and spit at my teeth,
enamel eroding to yellowing remains.
my love doesn't matter, it pales
in comparison to yours. and I'll say it again
in between apologies and humilities
until you decide that I'll get to be opal, at the very least.

Medusa, I call to you, you're better
than false smiles and guarded words. I mean no harm.
I could never take your gods, I could never.
I could never harm you the way you fear I will.

I feel my tongue crystallize in my mouth,
every syllable weighs down as I never formally apologize
for every sin, secret, and second I've taken away
from you and your loves.

You won't make eye contact with me, yet it feels like a punishment.
serpentine eyes stare me down as the last remaining heart
beats softly in my chest. Tender. I'd never do you wrong.
But you don't understand that.

-Divya
~~~~~~~~~
Is this mythologically accurate? sources say no, but we'll ignore that for now.

Comments

Popular Posts