Non-player character

I'm no stranger to heroes. They come and go,
sweeping my home into a frenzy and then
vanishing. Pained, shattered earthenware strewn
Across my face you'll see no tears. There's no point.

In the morning I pick vegetables, fruits, come back
to my cottage in the corner of a town you haven't heard of.
I tend to the fire and sweep the floors. I paint
my pots and take pride in the little things that are mine. I love
life, is idle chat with my neighbours and now
the sun has set. The night is day is tranquil, is the same.

I was born in this town
I was raised in this town
All I know is this town
I will die in this town.

My death will yield no mourners, no fanfare. I lie
still, unmarked and unimportant. The hero will return.
Time is known to be indistinguishable and unknown
when time is not meant for you. My life has never been mine.

-Divya
~~~~~~~~
Well, I'd never thought this whole quarantine thing would happen. But here we are, I guess. 

Comments

Popular Posts