Self-love

 I went to the kitchen and got myself two oranges.
they didn't look the best, they felt a little off,
but they were large and I was hungry 
so I picked them from the bag.

I ate the first one immediately, rapidly, my thumbs
tore through the peel, citrus scenting the air 
I didn't notice it, peels littering my desk
seeds piling up on rinds, I was hungry,
and my cheeks were wet.

The second one was a process. My Thumbs 
pierced the peel, I unraveled the fruit. Opened.
The segments fell out of their perfect circle,
I helped them. Slowly, peeling each one apart

Setting them on the wood. I got greedy,
I ate one before I finished my excision. Im-
perfect. I broke one segment in half and held
a juice vesicle? a juice sac? in my fingers. 
Inconsequential. But they tasted so good.
Everything else was just as delightful. My cheeks had dried.

-Divya

Comments

Popular Posts